All Basset Bleu de Gascogne Dog Breed Information: Basset Bleu de Gascogne puppy, Basset Bleu de Gascogne temperament, Basset Bleu de Gascogne shed, Basset Bleu de Gascogne size and much more! 🐩
Basset Bleu de Gascogne Dog Breed Information
The Basset Bleu de Gascogne is an intelligent and friendly dog breed. The breed has an ancient history dating back to the fourteenth century in the Basque part of Gascony in the Southwest region of France. It is a short-legged long-backed breed belonging to the hound category. It almost became extinct during the 19th century, but it was rescued by a special breeding program. It is commonly found in France and it is rare in other parts of the world. It is, however, recognized internationally by various kennel clubs.
Basset Bleu de Gascogne Dog Breed. Body type
The Basset Bleu de Gascogne Dog Breed has an expansive chest which extends beyond the dog’s elbows. It has a long back which is properly supported. The long back is ideal for hunting as the breed has impeccable hunting skills. The Basset Bleu de Gascogne Dog Breed is short-legged, sturdy and stocky. Dogs belonging to the breed are short at the withers since their height ranges between thirty-four and forty-two centimeters. The dogs have a medium weight which ranges between sixteen and eighteen kilograms. The body is is longer than the tail. The dogs have long low-set ears that help them to stir scents and sounds in the ground.
Basset Bleu de Gascogne Dog Breed. Coat and Color
The Basset Bleu de Gascogne Dog Breed has a smooth coat which is primarily white, but which appears bluish due to its ticked nature. The ticking is manifested by small tufts of black hairs that are distributed across the white coat. The breed has tan markings and brown spots on the ears and above the eyes. The eyes are large and dark brown.
Basset Bleu de Gascogne Dog Breed. Temperament
The dog is gentle and friendly and it establishes dependable and strong relationships with people. The dogs are easy to train because they are extremely intelligent. Basset Bleu de Gascogne dogs respond excellently to training due to their willingness to learn and eagerness to please their owners. As a pet, the breed is affectionate, loving, loyal, and obedient. The breed is active, happy, and vibrant. It has superb hunting skills and it can hunt on its own or in a pack. It should not be enclosed in an apartment since it loves spending time outdoors.
Basset Bleu de Gascogne Dog Breed. Tasty Tidbits
- The Basset Bleu de Gascogne Dog Breed requires sufficient socializing and exercise as it can become harmful if it is confined.
- Basset Bleu de Gascogne dogs easily follow scents making them vulnerable to disappearances. It is advisable to keep the dog on a leash whenever you are outdoors.
- The dogs have a distinctive deep-throated sonorous howl. The loud howl may be regarded as a nuisance by neighbors.
- Basset Bleu de Gascogne dogs develop back problems as they grow older since their backs are extremely long.
- The dogs have a life span of between twelve and fourteen years.
- Their strong sense of smell makes them effective watchdogs since they can detect the arrival of unwanted persons and guests instantly.
- The coat should be combed often due to the small tufts of black hair.
The Basset Bleu de Gascogne Dog Breed interacts easily with other dig breeds. It is also friendly to children and other domestic pets. It easily adapts to both rural and urban life so long as it is given sufficient space and exercise. Since the dog is rare outside France and Europe, you may encounter problems such as being placed on long waiting lists or high prices when buying.